The African chickpea stew recipe is a vegetarian dish that is not only tasty, nutrient rich and full of flavor, but is also an excellent stew that is comforting especially during the cold winter and gloomy autumn days. The nutty flavor of the Peanutty African chickpea stew will leave you full and satisfied for many hours.
This Peanutty African chickpea stew is easy to make and takes just less than an hour to make. This spicy stew is made with a range of spices like ginger, cumin and cayenne pepper that is very nicely blended with a creamy peanut butter base. A great mix of vegetables like Kale, sweet potatoes and chickpeas provides your body with good amount of fiber and potassium that aids in lowering blood pressure along with various vitamins and antioxidants.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Total time taken: 35 min
Prep: 10 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Servings: 4 (2cups each)
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– ½ medium sized onion diced
– 3 cloves garlic minced
– 1 stalk celery diced
– 1 small sweet potato cubed
– 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
– 2/3 cup creamy natural peanut butter
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
– ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
– 1 can (15-ounce) low sodium diced tomatoes
– 1 bunch kale chopped
– Chopped peanuts (for chopping)
– Cilantro (for chopping)
How to cook
– Take a large sized pot and heat oil over medium heat. To this add garlic, onion, celery, sweet potato and cook them all well. Stir them until onion and celery turn soft
– Add in vegetable stock, cumin, ginger, peanut butter and cayenne. Mix all of them together. – Add in chickpeas, kale and tomatoes
– Turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, until kale is wilted and the sweet potato turns soft. This will take about 20 minutes to achieve
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions:
– Make sure you use all natural peanut butter in the recipe with no extra salt added.
– Use crunchy peanut butter if you like this texture.
– If you like a thin stew similar to a soup, you can increase the quantity of vegetable stock to 1 ½ cups.
– Make sure you use low-sodium or no extra salt added chickpeas and tomatoes to prevent the amount of sodium from increasing.
Cooking and Serving Tips
Serve the Peanutty African chicken stew with a warm piece of whole grain bread or naan, a side salad for a balanced, plant-based meal. You can even have them with brown rice and tastes equally great with it. You can store in a refrigerator in an airtight container. Reheat well before serving any leftovers.
peanutty african chickpea stew
Source : Verywellfit